Odd Fellows Hall Association Hall (Portland, Or.) contract
Scope and Contents
The contract of June 7, 1869, between the Odd Fellows organization and William Braden is handwritten. The building that Braden was contracted to work on was in Portland, on "Block 15, Lot 1." The contract specifies that Braden would be paid over two thousand dollars total, but it would be paid out in small sums as certain parts of the work was finished. The contract spells out in detail what each smaller job consists of, and how much Braden would be paid for finishing each part.
- 1869 June 7
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Independent Organization of Odd Fellows is a fraternal organization that traces its roots back to 17th century England. The first North American Odd Fellows lodge was founded in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 1819.
The first Odd Fellows lodge in Oregon was organized in 1852, in Salem.
[Source: http://www.ioof.org/aboutus.html ]
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Independent Organization of Odd Fellows is a fraternal organization that traces its roots back to 17th century England. The collection contains a contract, dated June 7, 1869, between the Odd Fellows organization and William Braden for carpenter and joiner work on an Odd Fellows building in Portland, Oregon.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Braden, William, active 1869
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fraternal organizations -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Grand Lodge of Oregon
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Or.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Or.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Guide to the Odd Fellows Hall Association (Portland, Or.) Contract
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).