Scope and Contents
Collection contains a single letter (one copy of the original, and one transcribed version) written from John to his mother, Melinda Applegate, on May 7, 1865. Letter discusses his life as a private in the Oregon Volunteers Army.
- 1865 May 7
- Applegate, John, 1842-1912 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John Applegate (1842-1912) was the son of Charles and Melinda Applegate and the nephew of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail in Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
John Applegate (1842-1912) was the son of Charles and Melinda Applegate and the nephew of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail in Oregon. Collection contains a single letter (one copy of the original, and one transcribed version) written from John to his mother on May 7, 1865.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon. Militia. Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 1st
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Douglas County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John Applegate letter
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English