Benjamin Alvord letter to J.M. Sutton
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the letter, which references Jesse and Lindsay Applegate.
- 1863 July 16
- Alvord, Benjamin, 1813-1884 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Major Benjamin Alvord of Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory, wrote a letter dated July 16, 1863 to J.M. Sutton of Jacksonville, regarding fighting in the Rogue River Valley. The collection contains the letter, which references Jesse and Lindsay Applegate.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mrs. George Chastain, daughter of J. M. Sutton.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888
- Applegate, Lindsay, 1808-1892
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Oregon -- Rogue River Valley (Klamath County-Curry County) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rogue River Valley (Klamath County-Curry County, Or.) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sutton, J. M., active 1863
- Guide to the Benjamin Alvord Letter to J.M. Sutton
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA