Charles Hiram Mattoon letter to Reuben C. Hill
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a letter of January 18, 1862, warning Hill of rumours that he favored slavery.
Mattoon, writing from Belpassi, Oregon, warns Hill that a letter on behalf of Shilo Baptist Church has harmed Hill, and that a Willamette Baptist Association summary cited Hill as favoring slavery.
- 1862 January 18
- Mattoon, Charles Hiram, 1826-1918 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Hiram Mattoon (1826-1918) from New York, became a Baptist minister. He travelled to Oregon in 1851 and became one of the first licensed Baptist preachers in the state.
Reuben C. Hill was also a minister, and he served in the territorial government of Oregon, in the 1857 Oregon house, as a representative of Benton County.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Charles Hiram Mattoon and Reuben C. Hill were both early ministers of Oregon, and Hill also served in the Oregon territory government, in 1857. The collection contains a letter of January 18, 1862 from Mattoon to Hill, warning Hill about rumours that he favored slavery.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Baptists -- Oregon -- Clergy -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hill, Reuben C., 1808-1890
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Social conditions -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Slavery -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Willamette Baptist Association (Or.)
- Guide to the Charles Hiram Mattoon Letter to Reuben C. Hill
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).