James H. Gillian letter
Scope and Contents
In the letter, Gillian informs his mother that his company's winter quarters are in Bridgeport, Alabama, and about another soldier who was taken prisoner.
- 1862 December 11
- Gillian, James H. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
James H. Gillian was a soldier who served in the American Civil War. The collection contains a letter dated December 11, 1862 from Gillian to his mother.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Alabama -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the James H. Gillian Letter
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)