Lewis C. Cooper deed
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a deed written by Cooper, from his home in Alameda County, California. The deed transfers ownership of Cooper's Portland, Oregon Territory, property to bishop Thomas F. Scott for the sum of sixteen-hundred dollars. There is also a brief note from the Multnomah County clerk, dated June 8, 1858, acknowledging the recording of the deed.
- 1858 March 10 - 1858 June 8
- Cooper, Lewis C. (Person)
- Multnomah County (Or.) (Organization)
- Scott, Thomas Fielding, 1807-1867 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Lewis C. Cooper was an early resident of Portland. Thomas F. Scott (1807-1867), to whom Cooper sold his Portland property, was the Episcopal Bishop of the Oregon and Washington Territories.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Lewis C. Cooper was an early resident of Portland. The collection consists of a deed transferring ownership of Cooper's Portland, Oregon Territory property to Thomas F. Scott.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Cooper, Lewis C.
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- California -- Alameda County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scott, Thomas Fielding, 1807-1867
- Guide to the Lewis C. Cooper Deed
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).