Berryman Jennings letter to R. H. Malory
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a letter from Jennings to R. H. Malory of Grand Ronde, Oregon Territory. Jennings expresses concern about the financial account of agent John F. Miller. He also discusses the cost of goods including Lincy (sic), socks, and mules both in Portland.
- 1857 October 24
- Jennings, Berryman, 1807-1888 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Berryman Jennings (1807-1888) was an Oregon Pioneer and namesake of Jennings Lodge, Oregon. He was born in Butler County, Indiana, and is credited with having been the first school teacher in the state of Iowa, in 1830. In 1847, he travelled to Oregon, where he served as a quartermaster at Waskopam, Oregon Territory. He became a member of the Oregon Legislature in 1860, and later the registrary of the Oregon City land office. He died at his home in Jennings Lodge on December 22, 1888.
Source: History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century/Volume 4 by Benjamin F. Gue
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Berryman Jennings (1807-1888) was an Oregon pioneer and namesake of Jennings Lodge, Oregon. The collection consists of a letter from Jennings to R. H. Malory of Grand Ronde, Oregon Territory.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Clackamas County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Clackamas County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Berryman Jennings Letter to R. H. Malory
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA