Francis Scheffer letter to Hawes and Bartlett concerning the sale of a slave
Scope and Contents note
This small collection consists of a letter written by Francis Scheffer from Richmond, Virginia, to Hawes and Bartlett, of Atlanta, Georgia, denying that a slave sold by Scheffer was unsound.
- 1857 April 18
- Scheffer, Francis (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Francis Scheffer, possibly of Richmond, Virginia, sold slaves in the Antebellum south.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Francis Scheffer sold slaves in the Antebellum south. In this letter, Scheffer denies that the slave he sold to Hawes and Bartlett in Atlanta, Georgia, was unsound.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
- African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hawes and Bartlett (Firm)
- Scheffer, Francis
- Slave trade -- Georgia -- Atlanta Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slave traders -- Southern States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slaves -- Georgia -- Atlanta Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Francis Scheffer Letter to Hawes and Bartlett Concerning the Sale of a Slave
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Linda Long
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.