John P. Hutton letter to James C. Hutton
John P. Hutton was believed to be a union soldier who served under Capt. David Goff at Colonel Shaw's Encampment. Collection contains a single, 3 paged letter by John P. Hutton's to to James C. Hutton while at this encampment 1856.
- 1856 July 28
- Hutton, John Patterson, 1833-1895 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John Patterson Hutton (1833-1895) was a member of the Washington Territorial Volunteers who served under Captain David Goff at Colonel Benjamin Shaw's Encampment in 1856. In June of 1856, Colonel Benjamin Shaw marched his troops into the Grande Ronde River Valley, attacking a peaceful Indian Village and killing sixty Indians (mostly women and children).
John Patterson Hutton went on to serve as a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hutton, John Patterson, 1833-1895
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shaw, B. F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1829 or 1830-1908
- Soldiers -- Washington Territory -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Washington Territorial Volunteers
- Guide to the John P. Hutton Letter to James C. Hutton
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English