Maria Van Wagonen collection of letters of J. R. Young and C. Scriber, 24th Regiment, New York Volunteers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains seven letters from J.R. Young, and six from C. Scriber sent to "dear friend" Maria Van Wagonen. Letters describe conditions of army life (which according to the letters can be very boring), and a visit from Lincoln. Letters were often written on illustrated stationary and in envelopes that have union army and civil war insignia.
There is also a Civil War patriotic fold-out of the "Rose of Washington." The foldout rose enclosure contains numerous scenes and monuments of Washington, D.C inside. An illustrated envelope is included.
- Van Wagonen, Maria (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
J.R. Young and C. Scriber served in the 24th Reginment, New York Volunteers during the America Civil War. Both men were stationed in or near Arlington, Virginia. They both also wrote letters to a Maria Van Wagonen.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
J.R. Young and C. Scriber served in the 24th Reginment, New York Volunteers during the America Civil War and were stationed in or near Arlington, Virginia. The collection (1861-1862) contains letters from Young and from Scriber written to a Maria Van Wagonen, illustrated Civil War stationary and envelopes, and a Civil War patriotic fold-out of the "Rose of Washington."
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Van Wagonen, Maria
- Guide to the Maria Van Wagonen Collection of Letters of J. R. Young and C. Scriber, 24th Regiment, New York Volunteers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA