Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a single letter from Cornelius to his wife. Written while he was serving in the Oregon Mounted Volunteers, Cornelius describes his anticipation of impending battles with the "indians".
- 1855 October 20
- Cornelius, Thomas R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas R. Cornelius (1827-1899) was born in Missouri, and came to Oregon with his parents in 1845. He enlisted in the Oregon Mounted Volunteers for the Cayuse Indian War and the Yakima Indian War. Later he ran a general store in the town of Cornelius and farmed.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Thomas R. Cornelius (1827-1899) was a pioneer and member of the Oregon Mounted Volunteers during the Cayuse and Yakima Indian Wars. The collection consists of a single letter to his wife written during his military service.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Cayuse Indians -- Wars Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cornelius, Thomas R.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yakama Indians -- Wars, 1855-1859 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Thomas R. Cornelius Letter
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).