John McClure land sale agreement
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a land sale agreement between McClure and business partners Herman C. Leonard and John Green. According to the contract, McClure sold the land to Leonard and Green for the sum of $250 up front, with an additional $1000 received a year later. The acknowledgement of receipt, dated May 1, 1854, for the additional $1000 is written on the back of the agreement.
- 1853 October 27-1854 May 1
- McClure, John, Colonel (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John McClure was an Oregon pioneer who owned a land claim that, together with the adjacent claim of John Shively, became the center of Astoria, Oregon.
Herman C. Leonard and John Green went on to found the company Northwest Natural, one of the major natural gas distributors in the Pacific Northwest.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
John McClure was an Oregon pioneer and holder of a land claim that became Astoria, Oregon. The collection consists of a land sale agreement between McClure and business partners Herman C. Leonard and John Green.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Astoria (Or.) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Businessmen -- Oregon -- Astoria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Contracts for deeds -- Oregon -- Astoria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Green, John
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leonard, Herman C., 1824-
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Astoria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property -- Oregon -- Astoria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John McClure Land Sale Agreement
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA