Josiah Failing petition to the Board of County Commissioners
Josiah Failing (1806-1877) was a businessman who became the fourth mayor of Portland in April of 1853. The collection consists of a petition to the Board of County Commissioners that they intervene on behalf of John Davis, a "destitute blind man".
- 1853 August 15
- Failing, Josiah, 1806-1877 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Josiah Failing (1806-1877) was a businessman who became the fourth mayor of Portland in April of 1853.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Barnett, William H., 1856-1943
- Columbian Hotel (Portland, Or.)
- Davis, John
- Eviction -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ladd, William S.
- Multnomah County (Or.). Board of County Commissioners
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Petitions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portland (Or.) -- Social conditions -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poverty -- Oregon -- Portland -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thompson, Robert, 1809-1860
- United States. Forest Service
- Waterman, John
- Wilson, R. B.
- Guide to the Josiah Failing Petition to the Board of County Commissioners
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).