T. Metcalf letter to Albert A. Durham
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a photostat copy of a letter from "T. Metcalf" to Albert A. Durham, detailing Metcalf's journey to Hawaii on the sailing ship Desdamona under the command of Captain Abel Richardson.
- 1852 August 14
- Metcalf, T. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
T. Metcalf was an early superintendent of public works for the town of Oswego. In 1852, he travelled to Hawaii to negotiate a lumber deal on behalf of Albert A. Durham and the city of Oswego to deliver lumber to Hawaii.
Albert Alonzo Durham (1814-1898) came to Oregon in 1847. He build a sawmill in Oregon City, and later moved to Lake Oswego, where he made his living as a lumber merchant. Durham is the namesake of the town of Durham, Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
T. Metcalf was the superintendent of public works for the town of Oswego. The collection consists of a copy of a single letter from T. Metcalf to Albert A. Durham concerning a business trip to Hawaii.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Helen Platt, great-granddaughter of Albert A. Durham, in 1946.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Durham, Albert A. (Albert Alonzo), 1814-1898
- Lumbering -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ocean travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Lake Oswego Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the T. Metcalf Letter to Albert A. Durham
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).