Joseph Hedges letter to William Fouts
Joseph Hedges (1827-1895) was a carpenter and pioneer who travelled from Ohio to Oregon in 1852. The collection consists of a single, one paragraph letter from Hedge to Fouts.
- 1852 April 12
- Hedges, Joseph, 1827-1895 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph J. Hedges (1827-1895) was born near McConnelsville, Ohio. He crossed the plains to Oregon in 1852 with the pioneers of Canemah. A carpenter by trade, Hedges worked on numerous early buildings in Clackamas County. In Clackamas County, Hedges married Edith Judith Allen, daughter of one of Oregon's pioneer physicians. The couple had nine children: Mary A., John Byron, Elizabeth Alice, William Allen, Arthur Edwin, Joseph E., Francis Royal, Gilbert Lawrence, and Frederick Roscoe.
William Fouts travelled to Oregon City from St. Joseph, Montana in 1850. He chronicled that journey and his return trip to Ohio, 1851-1852, in a diary, which is not included in the collection. Please see the related materials note for the repository that holds the diary.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hedges, Joseph, 1827-1895
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Joseph Hedges Letter to William Fouts
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).