Edward R. Geary letter to John McLellan
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a typed transcription of a letter to John McLellan in which Geary describes his "travel's history" in Latin America and Oregon. The letter was transcribed from a copy printed in the Wooster Democrat of Wooster, Oregon Territory dated June 19, 1951.
- 1851 April 17
- Geary, Edward R., 1811-1886 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Edward R. Geary (1811-1886) was a pioneer, missionary and educator. He was born in Boonsboro, Maryland on April 30, 1811. He arrived in Oregon in 1851 as a Presbyterian missionary, preaching at Brownsville, Pleasant Grove and Albany, before settling in Eugene in 1875. In 1866, Geary co-founded Albany College, and in 1876 became a regent of the University of Oregon. He served as Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Oregon and Washington Territory from 1859-1861.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Edward R. Geary (1811-1886) was a pioneer, missionary and educator. The collection consists of a typed transcription of a letter to John McLellan in which Geary describes his "travel's history" in Latin America and Oregon.
Existence and Location of Copies
Additional copies of the letter can be found at the Oregon Historical Society in the Edward R. Geary papers, Mss 68.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Missionaries -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missions -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (Old School)
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Oregon
- Guide to the Edward R. Geary Letter to John McLellan
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).