Alvin F. Waller letter
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a letter from Waller to the "Rev. Roberts" giving "some account of my labors on the Mary's River Circuit" during the previous year. Waller recounts stories from the circuit trail and describes his generally positive treatment by the people he encountered.
- 1850 September 11
- Waller, Alvan F., 1808- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Alvin F. Waller (1808–1875) was a missionary and early leader of Willamette University in Salem, Oregon Territory. In 1840, he helped to establish the Willamette Falls Methodist Mission on the Willamette River. In 1843, Waller helped found the first Protestant church west of the Rockies in Oregon City. By 1847, Waller moved to Salem where he served as a pastor until 1857.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Alvin F. Waller (1808–1875) was a missionary and early leader of Willamette University in Salem, Oregon Territory. The collection consists of a letter from Waller to the "Rev. Roberts" giving "some account of my labors on the Mary's River Circuit" during the previous year.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Methodist Episcopal Church -- Oregon -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Methodist Episcopal Church--Missions--Oregon Territory
- Missionaries -- Oregon -- Salem Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missions -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Waller, Alvan F., 1808-
- Guide to the Alvin F. Waller Letter
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA