Addison Crandall Gibbs deed
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a deed ceding Gibbs' claim to a piece of land on Elk Creek to "Mills" for the sum of $100. The deed describes the size and location of the land relative to local geographic features.
- 1850 November 18
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Addison Crandall Gibbs (1825-1886) was the Civil War governor of Oregon, a Union supporter, a lawyer, and a businessman. He came to Oregon in 1852, married Margaret M. Watkins in 1854, was elected governor in 1862, and served as a U. S. Attorney in 1872. Gibbs was instrumental in founding the "Union League." He also served on the board of Willamette University. Gibbs died in London, December of 1886.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Addison Crandall Gibbs (1825-1886) was the Civil War governor of Oregon, a Union supporter, a lawyer, and a businessman. The collection consists of a deed ceding Gibbs' claim to a piece of land on Elk Creek.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gibbs, A. C. (Addison Crandall), 1825-1886
- Governors -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Real property -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Addison Crandall Gibbs Deed
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).