Stephen Coffin deed
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a deed issued by Coffin for "lots seven and eight" of "block number 5" of the Portland town site for the sum of $300. The deed is issued to David Graham.
There are also two subsequent land transfers dating from 1854 written on the back of the deed.
- 1850 June 17 - 1854 December 11
- Coffin, Stephen, grocer (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Stephen Coffin (1808-1882) was a pioneer and early Oregon landowner. His property holdings included 213 acres that became the Portland, Oregon town site. As a community and business leader, Coffin was involved in numerous transportation ventures that allowed Oregon businesses to prosper. He was named Brigadier general of the Oregon Militia in 1862.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Stephen Coffin (1808-1882) was a pioneer and early Oregon landowner. The collection consists of a deed issued by Coffin for "lots seven and eight" of "block number 5" of the Portland town site.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Coffin, Stephen, grocer
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Graham, David
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landowners -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Stephen Coffin Deed
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA