David Wilkins letter to Oregon City merchants and businessmen
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a single letter addressed to the "Merchants and Businessmen of Oregon City, Oregon Terotory (sic)". In the letter, Davis offers to oversee building and delivery of a "low draft steamboat" for use on the rivers of Pacific Northwest. He gives "Captain Sutter" as a reference.
- Creation: 1849 September 26
- Wilkins, David, active 1847-1849 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
David Wilkins was a common merchant from Pittsburgh who had a hand in the steam boat commerce of that city. From about 1850, steamboats operated on the Columbia River and its tributaries, including the Willamette River.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
David Wilkins was a common merchant from Pittsburgh who had a hand in the steam boat commerce of that city. The collection consists of a letter from Wilkins to the merchants and businessmen of Oregon City, Oregon Territory.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Guide to the David Wilkins Letter to Oregon City Merchants and Businessmen
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).