Francis W. Pettygrove bond
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a bond written by Francis W. Pettygrove and his business partner Benjamin Stark to Rob McNamee for $2000, in exchange for two lots in Portland, Oregon Territory. The bond is certified by Portland city clerk and recorder W. Caldwell.
- 1848 January 29
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Francis W. Pettygrove (1812-1887) was a pioneer and one of the founders of the cities of Portland, Oregon. After partnering with Benjamin Stark in 1845, Pettygrove established a profitable trade in lumber and foodstuffs between Portland, San Francisco, and Hawaii. By 1848, Pettygrove was one of the wealthiest men in the Oregon Territory. In 1851, he left Portland to found the city of Port Townsend, Washington.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Francis W. Pettygrove (1812-1887) was a pioneer and one of the founders of the cities of Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of a bond written by Pettygrove and his business partner Benjamin Stark to Rob McNamee.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Bonds (negotiable instruments) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pettygrove, F. W. (Francis William), 1812-1887
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stark, Benjamin, 1820-1898
- Guide to the Francis W. Pettygrove Bond
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).