Scope and Contents
The bond describes the sale of two lots by White to John Shively for the sum of two-hundred dollars each. The lots were located in Oregon City and "Robbins Nest" (Linn City).
- 1846 August 13
- White, Elijah, 1806-1879 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Elijah White (1806–1879) was a missionary and agent for the United States government in the Oregon Territory.
John Shively (1804-1894) was a pioneer and early resident of Astoria, Oregon. In 1847, he was appointed postmaster of Astoria by president James K. Polk--the first postmaster west of the Rocky Mountains.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Elijah White (1806–1879) was a missionary and agent for the United States government in the Oregon Territory. The collection consists of a bond issued by White for the sale of two lots to John Shively.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Bonds (negotiable instruments) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Contracts for deeds -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indian agents -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shively, J. M. (John M.)
- White, Elijah, 1806-1879
- Guide to the Elijah White bond
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).