Jesse Looney letter to John C. Bond
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a typed transcript of Looney's letter to his brother-in-law, John C. Bond. In the letter, Looney gives advice on making the trip across the plains, and describe the state of his family, newly arrived in Waiilapu, Oregon Territory.
- 1843 October 27
- Looney, Jesse, 1801-1869 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Jesse Looney (1800-1869) was a pioneer farmer and early Oregon legislator. He was born in Tennessee and with his family traveled overland to Oregon in a wagon train led by Marcus Whitman. The Looneys took a donation land claim south of Salem. He was a provisional legislator, orchard grower, and builder. He married Ruby Crawford Bond. They had 13 children.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Jesse Looney (1800-1869) was a pioneer farmer and early Oregon legislator. The collection consists of a typed transcript of a letter from Looney to his brother-in-law, John C. Bond.
Existence and Location of Originals
Looney's original letter can be found at the Oregon Historical Society: Jesse Looney papers 1843-1866, Mss 2263.
- Bond, John C.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farmers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Jesse Looney Letter to John C. Bond
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).