Scope and Contents
The collection consist of promissory notes from Griffin to fellow missionary Harvey Clark, exchanged for Clark's South Tualatin land claim.
- 1842 December 31
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John Smith Griffin (1807–1899) was an Oregon pioneer and missionary who participated at the Champoeg Meetings that created the Provisional Government of Oregon in 1843.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
John Smith Griffin (1807–1899) was an Oregon pioneer and missionary. The collection consists of promissory notes from Griffin to fellow missionary Harvey Clark for a South Tualatin land claim.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Clark, Harvey, 1807-1858
- Griffin, J. S. (John Smith), 1807-1899
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missionaries -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Promissory notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Promissory notes -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John Smith Griffin Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).