Scope and Contents note
These records include minutes of regular and special board meetings from 1927 to 1972, summit registers of various peaks arranged alphabetically by peak, and two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings covering the Obsidians' activities from 1928 to 1946. There is also a typewritten article by T. C. Judkins describing the first climb of the Three Sisters in 1885 (volume 40) and a typewritten copy of the first summit book from the Middle Sister titled "Records from the Top" (volume 14). This typed document is a transcription of the original document stored separately under call number CA M584. Volumes 31-40 in the collection are boxed.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Obsidians, Inc. was founded in Eugene, Oregon in 1927 under the name of the Eugene Outdoor Club. The name was changed within the year to Obsidians, Inc. It is a local club that serves to educate people about the outdoors. Activities center on hiking and climbing expeditions in the summer and spring and skiing in the winter. The Obsidians have climbed peaks in Oregon, Washington, California, and Canada, with excursions lasting from one day up to two weeks. They also sponsor summer camps and bus excursions for those unable to hike or climb. There are two auxiliary clubs, the Chiefs and the Princesses. In order to be a member one must have climbed the Three Sisters with the Obsidians.
The governing body is a board of nine members, each elected for a three year term. A board meeting is held the first week of every month, except August, to conduct club business. The club's headquarters is a lodge located on 29th and Spring Boulevard, Eugene. To get in contact with the club one can write to P.O. Box 322, Eugene, Oregon 97440 or find more information on the Obsidians web site at http://www.obsidians.org/. The monthly newsletter The Obsidian can be found in Special Collections and University Archives' Oregon Collection.
4.5 linear feet (5 containers) : 2 record storage boxes, 2 manuscript boxes, 1 flat box
Language of Materials
Obsidians, Inc. is a local, Eugene, Oregon club that serves to educate people about the outdoors, particularly hiking opportunities in the West. The collection contains meeting minutes, summit registers, and trip reports. These records are bound into volumes, except those that, due to preservation concerns, are now housed in archival boxes.
Separated Materials note
A photograph album in this collection is stored separately under call number PH203_31.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
- Clubs -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mountaineering -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Outdoor life -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sports and Recreation Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Obsidians, Inc. Records
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.