Scope and Contents
The records include fourteen ledgers that contain pre-corporation records as well as corporation minutes, correspondence, financial records and other communications from 1874-1924.
- G. Heitkemper Company (Portland, Or.) (Organization)
- Heitkemper, Gerhard (Person)
- Heitkemper, Frank (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Gerhard Heitkemper, Frank A. Heitkemper, and Edward Cookingham incorporated the G. Heitkemper Co., wholesale and retail jewelers, in Portland, Oregon on Feburary 15, 1896. The firm was dissolved December 15, 1909, and immediately reformed as a partnership by Gerhard and Frank A. Heitkemper. Before coming to Oregon, Gerhard Heitkemper operated jewelry stores in Ohio and Iowa.
4 linear feet (4 containers) : 2 record storage boxes, 2 flat boxes
Language of Materials
The G. Heitkemper Company was a wholesale and retail jeweler in Portland, Oregon, incorporated by Gerhard Heitkemper, Frank A. Heitkemper, and Edward Cookingham in 1896. The records include thirteen ledgers that contain pre-corporation records as well as post-corporation minutes, correspondence, financial records and other communications from 1874-1924.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Business enterprises -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businesses and Corporations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Heitkemper, Frank
- Heitkemper, Gerhard
- Jewelry stores -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewelry trade -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the G. Heitkemper Company Records
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).