Dielschneider Jewelry Store records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a cash book, watch sales and repair ledgers, a clock repair ledger, diamond record books, manufacturers' and jobbers' catalogues, and photographs.
Individual volumes include one cash book (1877-1878), a ledger that contains watch and diamond sale information (1927-1946), eleven ledgers on watch sales and watch repairs (1879-1959), and one ledger containing the store record of watches (1951-1958). There are also three record books on diamonds (1922-1959).
The collection also includes manufacturers' and jobbers' catalogues and photographs of the store.
- Dielschneider Jewelry Store (McMinnville, Or.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William F. Dielschneider (d. 1853) was the son of Oregon pioneers. In 1892, he bought a jewelry store in McMinnville, Oregon and went into partnership with his brother Franz. The business was named Dielschneider Jewelry store and they also sold and repaired watches and clocks.
7 linear feet (5 containers) : 4 record storage boxes, 1 folio
Language of Materials
William F. Dielschneider and his brother Franz owned and ran the Dielschneider Jewelry store of McMinnville, Oregon, which also sold and repaired watches and clocks. The collection contains a cash book, watch sales and repair ledgers, a clock repair ledger, diamond record books, manufacturers' and jobbers' catalogues, and photographs.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff 1982; photographs processed by Normandy Helmer.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Businesses and Corporations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Businessmen -- Oregon -- McMinnville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cashbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jewelry stores -- Oregon -- McMinnville -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewelry trade -- Oregon -- McMinnville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Trade catalogs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Dielschneider Jewelry Store Records
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA