Scope and Contents
The Viola Springer journal describes her journey from Missouri to Harney Valley, Oregon in 1885-1886. Her papers include the original volume, a photostat copy of the journal, and a typed manuscript of the journal.
- 1885 May 18 – 1886 February 22
- Springer, Viola, 1865- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Viola Springer (1865- ) was an Oregon pioneer from Sullivan County, Missouri.
0.25 linear feet (1 container) : 1 half manuscript box
Language of Materials
Viola Springer was from Sullivan County, Missouri and was an Oregon pioneer. The Viola Springer journal describes in detail her trip from Princeton, Montana to Harney Valley, Oregon in 1885-1886.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection has been microfilmed. Microfilm reels are available for purchase, or via Inter-library Loan. When requesting reels for this collection, please request: “Women’s Lives, Series 3, American Women Missionaries and Pioneers Collection, reel(s) 92-93.”
Microfilms of this collection have been digitized. Digital images prepared from microfilm copies are available from Special Collections & University Archives, and available online through Gale’s Women's Studies Archive: Women’s Issues and Identities.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Pioneers -- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Viola Springer Papers
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.