Porter Family correspondence
Scope and Contents
The correspondence in this collection spans thirty-eight years and two generations.
The 1849 letters are from James M. Porter of Ft. Madison and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, to George Porter of Chillicothe, Ohio. They describe Iowa weather, prospects of business, and the migration of Iowans to California.
There are two letters (1861, 1862) by George Claypool, 81st Ohio Volunteers, and three by John W. Johnson, 89th Ohio Volunteers in the Civil War, addressed to George Porter.
Other letters are minor family correspondence of Isabella (Belle) Porter Spencer, who was later a resident of Ashland, Oregon.
The collection consists of Isabella (Belle) Porter Spencer correspondence, and also correspondence of her father, James M. Porter.
- Spencer, Isabella Porter, 1849-1924 (Person)
- Porter, James M. (Person)
- Johnson, John W. (Person)
- Claypool, George (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Porter family included brothers James M. of Iowa, and George of Chillicothe, Ohio.
Isabella (Belle) Porter Spencer (1849-1924), daughter of James M. Porter and Sarah Claypool, married A.C. Spencer, of Ashland, Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Isabella Porter Spencer (1849-1924), of Ashland, was the daughter of James M. Porter of Iowa. The collection consists of both her own correspondence and that of her father.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Claypool, George
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Iowa -- Social life and customs -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Porter family
- Porter, James M.
- Spencer, Isabella Porter, 1849-1924
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Porter Family Correspondence
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).