Henry W. Young papers
Scope and Contents
Coquille Valley Sentinel records consist of nineteen ledgers including cash, job, advertising, and monthly summary ledgers from from 1911-1945. There is also a selection of Sentinel issues available from 1914-1923, correspondence, clippings, and a few miscellaneous business records.
Other business records include a ledger and files about the trolley tract addition in Independence, Kansas, 1908-1913, and a few files on Young's interest in establishing a natural gas company in Independence, Kansas.
Issues of other newspapers include The Star, of Independence, Kansas (1883-1884, complete), The Times, of Independence, Kansas (1905-1911, selections), and other miscellaneous newspapers (1879-1911).
Miscellaneous records include pamphlets about gas and oil fields in Kansas, proceedings of the Kansas Editorial Association (1904), writings by Young about family history, land in Washington and Oregon, railway fare reduction, Eminent Domain laws, yellow journalism, and political ethics, Young's school reports, Free Silver campaign speeches (1896), and American Tract Society publications.
The addendum of 1971 contains Young's professional and personal correspondence, bills submitted to the Kansas state senate by Young, Kansas and Oregon newspapers published by Young, speeches, and family correspondence.
- Young, H. W. (Henry W.), 1847- (Person)
- Coquille Valley Sentinel (Coquille, Or.) (Organization)
- American Tract Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Coquille Valley Sentinel newspaper of Coquille, Oregon was established in 1882. It was purchased in 1914 by Henry W. Young, who came to Oregon from Kansas where he had also been a newspaper publisher, and a state legislator.
[Source: Coquille Valley Sentinel archive: sen.stparchive.com]
4.5 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Henry W. Young published newspapers in Kansas and Oregon, including the Coquille Valley Sentinel newspaper of Coquille, Oregon, which he purchased in 1914. The collection (1863-1945) contains Sentinel records including ledgers, issues of the newspaper, and correspondence, as well as personal and business papers of Henry W. Young, including writings, correspondence, speeches, bills submitted to the Kansas state senate, printed matter, and other Kansas and Oregon newspapers published by Young.
Materials within this collection are arranged first by initial accession(s) that were processed together as a whole and then by subsequent accession(s). This organization reflects the fact that the collection had been processed at one point in time and then more materials were acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them into a whole at this point in time, given the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.
Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.
Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection may have received a basic level of processing including some organization and rehousing. The initial accession(s) were processed and arranged as a whole and are reflected in the series arrangement. Subsequent accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each subsequent accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Coquille (Or.) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Coquille (Or.) -- Newspapers Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Coquille Valley (Or.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coquille Valley Sentinel (Coquille, Or.)
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Independence (Kan.) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Independence (Kan.) -- Newspapers Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Kansas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper publishing -- Kansas -- Independence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper publishing -- Oregon -- Coquille Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- History -- 1859- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Young family
- Young, H. W. (Henry W.), 1847-
- Young, H. W. (Henry W.), 1847-
- Guide to the Henry W. Young Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA