J. E. Haseltine and Co. records
J. E. Haseltine and Co. of Portland, Oregon specialized in heavy hardware and was one of the first companies to stock automotive equipment. Collection contains three ledgers containing cash and account information, from 1891-1897.
- J.E. Haseltine & Co. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James Edwin Haseltine (1833- ) came to Oregon in 1883. He joined the Portland, Oregon firm of E. J. Northrup & Co. and became half owner of the company. The name of the business was changed to J. E. Haseltine & Co. in 1886. The company incorporated in 1897. It specialized in heavy hardware and was one of the first companies to stock automotive equipment.
2 linear feet (3 volumes)
Language of Materials
Collection is organized by volume number.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Automobile supplies industry -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hardware industry -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hardware stores -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Haseltine, J. E.
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the J.E. Haseltine and Co. Records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).