Scope and Contents note
The collection consists of questionnaires, newspaper clippings and letters answered by the illustrators of children's books. The questionnaires ask the illustrators about their artistic techniques, thoughts on children's books and illustrations, and requests for a short biography and the names of magazines that featured articles about their work.
- Dougherty, Joanna Foster, 1928- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Joanna Foster Dougherty was born in Chicago, Illinois on July 30, 1928, daughter of Orrington Foster, an engineer, and Genevieve Stump Foster, an author and artist. She attended School of the Chicago Art Institute, and Stanford University, and received her B.A. from Vassar College in 1950. She was a member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts, and secretary from 1960-61. She was an editor and author of many children's books, and also wrote and directed films.
1.5 linear feet (1 containers)
Language of Materials
Joanna Foster Dougherty (1928-) was an editor and author of children's books. The collection includes completed questionnaires and letters from illustrators to be used in Illustrators of Children's Books (Boston, 1968). Much of the information was not used in the book.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Joanna Dougherty in 1969.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, December 1969.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Fine Arts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Illustrated children's books -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Joanna Foster Dougherty Papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.