Scope and Contents
Most of the letters concern the Congregational Church and Tualatin Academy. There are two letters by Smith, one to P. B. Littlejohn (1843) and one to Elkanah Walker (1852). Incoming letters are from Mary Ann Anderson, Samuel Campbell, Joseph Gale (10 letters).
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Alvin T. Smith (1802-1888), lay missionary and Oregon pioneer, came overland to Oregon in 1840 with Harvey Clark and P. B. Littlejohn. In 1841 he settled near Forest Grove. He was associated with Pacific University (Tualatin Academy) and the Congregational Church.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Alvin T. Smith, lay missionary and Oregon pioneer, came overland to Oregon in 1840 and settled near Forest Grove in 1841. Letters concern the Congregational Church and Tualatin Academy.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Congregational churches -- Oregon -- Tualatin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Tualatin (Or.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Tualatin Academy
- Guide to the Alvin Thompson Smith letters
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.