David Lawson Shirk diary
Scope and Contents
The collections consists of one bound trail diary and an unbound manuscript of David Shirk's autobiography. The 1873 diary records Shirk's cattle drive from Texas, April to October. The autobiography, written in 1920, covers the major events of Shirk's career. In 1956, the Champoeg Press, Portland, Oregon published Shirk’s autobiography under the title "The Cattle Drives of David Shirk".
- Shirk, David Lawson, 1844-1928 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
David Shirk (1844-1928) was born in Park County, Indiana. He moved with his parents to Will County, Illinois in 1855. In 1866, he went west to seek his fortune. He traveled overland to Silver City, Idaho, and worked for ranchers in the area, particularly George T. Miller. In addition to the materials in this collection, Shirk kept a diary of his 1871 cattle drive, but it has not survived.
0.25 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
David Shirk (1844-1928)was a pioneer and cattle worker. The collections consists of one bound trail diary and an unbound manuscript of David Shirk's autobiography.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
- Cattle trade -- West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northwest, Pacific -- History Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Shirk, David Lawson, 1844-1928
- Guide to the David Lawson Shirk diary
- Preliminary Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA