American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (AAHPER), NW District records
Scope and Contents
The North West District records are organized into binders by date and contains minutes of meetings, other proceedings, and conventions, correspondence, a historical summary of the association, bylaws, and session/convention pamphlets and publications.
The binders are organized in the following date ranges: 1930-1940; 1940-1950; 1950-1959; 1959-1964; and 1964-1967.
There is also a folder of meeting minutes from 1954 to 1965, and folders of session/convention pamphlets and publications from 1933-1963.
- American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. Northwest District (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
"The American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (AAHPER) is a service organization whose founding dates back to November 27, 1885 when William Gilbert Anderson, an instructor of physical education at Adelphi Academy, Brooklyn, invited a group of people working in the gymnastic field to come together to discuss their profession." The initial name of the association was American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance.
"When a formal constitution was adopted in 1886, the organization was renamed the American Association for the Advancement of Physical Education. The 1886 objectives of the Association were “to disseminate know ledge concerning physical education, to members to bring those interested in the subject into closer relation to each other.”
"The early years of the Alliance focused on defining and exploring the field of physical education and encouraging its inclusion in the schools. The organization’s name was changed to the American Physical Education Association in 1903."
In 1938, the name was changed to American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation. "Dance" was added to the name in 1974.
[Sources: http://www.nypl.org/; http://danceheritage.org/]
1.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 record storage box
Language of Materials
The American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (AAHPER) was founded on November 27, 1885, and the mission of the organization is to advance professional practice and promote research related to health and physical education, physical activity, dance, and sport. The collection (1930-1967) contains records from the North West District and material includes minutes, correspondence, by-laws, historical summary, and convention publications.
Collection processed by staff in 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- American Association for Health and Physical Education
- American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
- American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. Convention
- American Physical Education Association
- Bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Health education -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physical education and training -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Recreation -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sports and Recreation Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (AAHPER), NW District records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)