John Shaver journal
Scope and Contents
John Shaver's journal describes his voyage on the steam ship Henry Chauncey from the east coast of the United States to San Francisco from March 11 to April 2, 1868.
- Shaver, John (Of North Carolina) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John Shaver was from South Mountain, North Carolina. He sailed on the Henry Chauncey from Aspinwall, Pennsylvania, across the isthmus of Panama, and on to San Francisco, California.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 volume
Language of Materials
John Shaver was from South Mountain, North Carolina. He sailed on the Henry Chauncey to Aspinwall, crossed the isthmus, and proceeded on the Sacramento to San Francisco, Mar. 11 to Apr. 2, 1868. Journal describes his journey.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- California Subject Source: Local sources
- California -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Panama, Isthmus of (Panama) -- Desccription and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ships and Shipping Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Steamboats -- Passenger accommodation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Voyages to the Pacific coast Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John Shaver Journal
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.