Skip to main content

Western Pine Association records

 Collection
Identifier: Bx 105

Scope and Contents note

The collection includes incorporation papers, membership lists, reports of the secretary-manager, committee reports, minutes of meetings, statistical summaries, the WPMA Barometer (weekly report of orders, shipment and production), price reports, legal case files (especially Interstate Commerce Commission cases), National Wooden Box Association records, circulars of the California White and Sugar Pine Manufacturers Association, and circulars of the Western Pine Association, 1907-1948.

Dates

  • 1906-1959

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.

Conditions Governing Use note

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Historical Note:

The Western Pine Association formed in 1931 with the goal of setting uniform grade standards for lumber. Out a necessity for economic survival during the depression, the newly formed association grew out of a merger of the Western Pine Manufacturers Association of the Northwest and the California White and Sugar Pine Association. The association’s president in 1931, S. V. Fullaway, Jr., oversaw the 75 mills that made up the newly formed group.

Before the merger in 1931, the association was made of members from the northwest in competition with other lumber mills of the west. In the late 1890s, the Eastern Washington and Idaho Lumberman’s Association was formed to deal with shipping costs. In 1903, the organization transformed itself into the Western Pine Shippers Association, which was composed of 22 firms, with an office in Spokane. The headquarters was moved in 1917 to Portland, and the name changed to the Western Pine Manufacturers Association. This organization lasted until the depression affected the lumber sales and the industry looked for a way to boost sales.

With the formation of the Western Pine Association, the western lumber industry began to gain economic success. By 1957, the association had grown to include 380 companies operating mills and more than doubled its softwood lumber production. In 1955, A. L. Helmer became president of the association, after serving as president of the Timber Products Manufacturers Association of Spokane. The association was merged in the 1960s with other western lumber companies to form the Western Wood Products Association.

Source: Crow’s Lumber Digest. Feb. 28, 1957 Vol. 35, no. 5, “He Blazes the Trail: 25 Years of Progress” p. 5, 8-10.

Extent

48 linear feet (32 containers) : 20 record storage boxes, 12 irregular boxes

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Western Pine Association formed in 1931 with the goal of setting uniform grade standards for lumber. The newly formed association grew out of a merger of the Western Pine Manufacturers Association of the Northwest and the California White and Sugar Pine Association. The association’s president in 1931, S. V. Fullaway, Jr., oversaw the 75 mills that made up the newly formed group. The Western Pine Association Records include the business papers, reports, industry publications, and legal case files of the organization.

Arrangement note

Collection is organized into the following series: Business Papers; Statistical Reports; Legal Cases and Administrative Papers; and Circulars.
Title
Guide to the Western Pine Association Records
Status
7 Revise Marc
Author
Finding aid prepared by Vida Germano; updated by processing staff
Date
2004; updated 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA