Leonard Friendly collection of American popular music
Scope and Contents
The collection contains over 2100 pieces, including "Blue and Sentimental" (by Count Basie) and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" (by Richard Rodgers).
- Friendly, Leonard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
4.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Leonard Friendly was a music author and arranger who also ran radio music programs on WPIK, KSL, and on Portland, Oregon's radio station, KWJJ. The collection contains Friendly's collection of American popular music from 1896 to 1956.
3 record storage boxes.
Collection processed by staff, 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Arrangers (Musicians) -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Composers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Friendly, Leonard
- Music Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Popular music -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio broadcasters -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio broadcasters -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Leonard Friendly Collection of American Popular Music
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA