Scope and Contents
The Portland Realty Company Records contain a journal, two cash books, meeting minutes, and a stock subscription book.
The stock subscription book contains the receipts and many original stock certificates issued for the company between the years of 1905 and 1931. It also contains receipts for sale and transfer of stock certificates by various stockholders.
The journal contains financial information.
Both cash books contain financial information and cover the years 1931 to 1944. Inside the cover of one of the books is a tax document for 1945.
Minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors and the Stockholder meetings can be found in the corporate records volume.
The collection contains little information about the historical aspects of the company, however there are references to Portland buildings and land issues that involved Portland Realty Company.
- Creation: 1905-1944
- Portland Realty Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Portland Realty Company was incorporated by L.A. Lewis, Leo Fried, and J.N. Teal on October 19, 1905. The realty company specialized in corporate leasing in the Portland area. L.A. Lewis served as president of the company from 1905 to 1931, and then C.H. Lewis was elected and remained the president until the dissolution of the company on January 3, 1945
Buildings owned by Portland Realty included, but were not limited to, the Acorn Building and the Financial Center Building. The Portland Realty company also owned land and was involved with the Portland-Tualatin Valley Tunnel District.
0.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
The Portland Realty Company, incorporated in 1905, specialized in corporate leasing in the Portland area. The collection consists of a journal, two cash books, meeting minutes, and a stock subscription book that contains receipts and many original stock certificates.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by F. Faber Lewis.
Collection processed by Jenny Palm, November 2003.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Guide to the Portland Realty Company Records
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English