Skip to main content

Allen and Lewis Company records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Bx 097

Scope and Contents

The collection contains corporate records including meeting minutes and stock ledgers, as well as stock books and ledgers of subsidiary companies including Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.

Meeting minutes include five volumes of Board of Director's and stockholder's minutes, 1897-1942, and one volume of stockholder's minutes of each the subsidiary companies Douglas Food stores, Inc (1927-1935) and one volume of consolidated Stores, Inc (1926-1930).

There are 4 volumes of Allen and Lewis company stock books, one stock ledger, and one ledger (1908-1942).

There are also one stock book each of the subsidiary companies Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.

There is also one ledger of branches and subsidiary companies, 1913-1931.

Dates

  • 1897-1942

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Allen and Lewis company was a firm of wholesale grocers. The company was incorporated in 1897 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and F. A. Spencer.

Extent

3 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 record storage boxes

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Allen and Lewis company was a firm of wholesale grocers that was incorporated in 1897 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and F. A. Spencer. The collection contains corporate records including meeting minutes and stock ledgers, as well as stock books and ledgers of subsidiary companies including Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.

Arrangement

Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.

Other Finding Aids

Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by F. Faber Lewis.

Related Materials

Other collections donated by F. Farber Lewis and relating to Lewis Investment company at Special Collections and University Archives include:

Lewis Investment Company records, Bx 098; Junction City Realty Company records, Bx 100; Pioneer Real Estate Company records, Bx 101; Portland Realty Company records, Bx 102; Columbia Mines Company records, Bx 103; Leland Land Company records, Bx 099.

Processing Information

Collection processed by staff.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.

This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.

Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
Title
Guide to the Allen and Lewis Company records
Status
Complete Description
Author
Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
Date
2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA