Allen and Lewis Company records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains corporate records including meeting minutes and stock ledgers, as well as stock books and ledgers of subsidiary companies including Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.
Meeting minutes include five volumes of Board of Director's and stockholder's minutes, 1897-1942, and one volume of stockholder's minutes of each the subsidiary companies Douglas Food stores, Inc (1927-1935) and one volume of consolidated Stores, Inc (1926-1930).
There are 4 volumes of Allen and Lewis company stock books, one stock ledger, and one ledger (1908-1942).
There are also one stock book each of the subsidiary companies Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.
There is also one ledger of branches and subsidiary companies, 1913-1931.
- Allen & Lewis (Grocers) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Allen and Lewis company was a firm of wholesale grocers. The company was incorporated in 1897 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and F. A. Spencer.
3 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Allen and Lewis company was a firm of wholesale grocers that was incorporated in 1897 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and F. A. Spencer. The collection contains corporate records including meeting minutes and stock ledgers, as well as stock books and ledgers of subsidiary companies including Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by F. Faber Lewis.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Business enterprises -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businesses and Corporations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Grocers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grocery trade -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lewis Investment Company (Portland, Or.)
- Lewis, John Couch
- Lewis, L. A.
- Spencer, F. A.
- Guide to the Allen and Lewis Company records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).