Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, reports, financial records, and legal papers, and photographic prints, 1890-1912.
The forty three vintage prints document the construction of dams and other utility infrastructure systems, c. 1890s-1910s.
- Olympia Light and Power Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Olympia Light and Power Company, organized in 1890, brought the first electricity to Olympia and Tumwater, Washington. The waterwheel-generated hydro-electric power plant also powered the streetcars between Olympia and Tumwater. In 1923 it became Puget Sound Power and Light Co.
Sources: Olympia, Washington government website
7.5 linear feet (9 containers) : 3 RSBs, 3 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 flat box
Language of Materials
The Olympia Light and Power Company, a waterwheel-generated hydro-electric power plant that was organized in 1890, brought the first electricity to Olympia and Tumwater, Washington. The collection contains correspondence, reports, financial records, and legal papers.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated by (General) Hazard Stevens, a former president of Olympia Light and Power Co.
Collection processed by staff. Photographs processed by Normandy S. Helmer.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Electric utilities -- Washington (State) -- Olympia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Electric utilities -- Washington (State) -- Tumwater Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hydroelectric power plants -- United States -- Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hydroelectric power plants -- Washington (State) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public Utilities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Olympia Light and Power Co. Records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).