United States Spruce Production Corporation, Spruce Products Division records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the initial donation which consisted of records kept by supply officer Richard Stevens Eskridge, and a subsequent accession (Up 278) that consisted of records that were either also kept by Richard Stevens Eskridge, or by Portland, Oregon attorney Bill Palmer.
The initial donation contains material kept by supply officer Richard Stevens Eskridge and includes:
Special orders filed organized by order number (1918-1919);
Weekly Bull, a weekly bulletin from the U.S. War Department (1918);
weekly bulletin, 1918 (of the U.S. Spruce Production Corporation, Spruce Products Division);
Richard Stevens Eskridge "201 file;"
statement of facts and estimates of Garibaldi Mill in Oregon;
publications regarding railway, mill, and timber properties in Washington and Oregon;
and a photograph album with photos of people, loggers, and logging operations.
Accession Up 278 contains War Department memoranda (1918-1919), liquidation files, publications regarding the organization of the company, logging camps, and military staff, correspondence, and a report by Charles Evans Hughes regarding aircraft production.
- Hughes, Charles Evans, 1862-1948 (Person)
- Palmer, Bill, active 1918-1919 (Person)
- United States. War Department. Spruce Production Division (Organization)
- Eskridge, Richard Stevens, 1871-1950 (Person)
- United States Spruce Production Corporation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
United States Spruce Production Corporation was incorporated in Washington, on August 19, 1918.
The production of Spruce lumber for war planes had previously begun in 1917, under the command of army captain Brice Disque. Towards the end of the World War I, the company incorporated. The company continued operating through WWII, and afterwards.
1.5 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
United States Spruce Production Corporation was incorporated in Washington on August 19, 1918, and the Spruce Products Division was responsible for overseeing the logging of Northwest Spruce, and the manufacturing of Spruce products. The collection (1918-1919) contains orders and special orders, U. S. War Department memoranda, weekly bulletins, efficiency reports, correspondence, publications, liquidation files, and files on timber and railway companies.
Materials within this collection are arranged first by initial accession(s) that were processed together as a whole and then by subsequent accession(s). This organization reflects the fact that the collection had been processed at one point in time and then more materials were acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them into a whole at this point in time, given the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.
Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.
Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.
Collection processed by staff 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection may have received a basic level of processing including some organization and rehousing. The initial accession(s) were processed and arranged as a whole and are reflected in the series arrangement. Subsequent accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each subsequent accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Aeronautics -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Airplanes, Wooden Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bulletins Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Disque, Brice P., 1879-1960
- Forest products industry -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logging -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logging -- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumbering -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Orders (military records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sawmills -- Oregon -- Garibaldi Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spruce -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Timber -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States Spruce Production Corporation
- United States. Army. Air Service
- United States. War Department. Spruce Production Division
- Guide to the United States Spruce Production Corporation, Spruce Products Division Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).