Oregon and California Advisory Board records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, reports, research files, and minutes 1950-1961 from the files of Board member Frank Sinclair Sever.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
During the 1860s, the Oregon & California Railroad was granted over 3 million acres of public domain lands to aid in the construction of a railroad from Portland to the Oregon-California state line. In 1916, over 2 million acres—most of it valuable timberlands—were revested to the United States under administration of the United States General Land Office (GLO) because the railroad company failed to properly dispose of the lands. In 1937, the Oregon and California (O&C) Administration was established to administer the revested lands. In 1946, the GLO merged with the U.S. Grazing Service and the O&C Administration to create a new federal agency, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
2 linear feet (2 containers) : 1 record storage box, 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
The Oregon and California Advisory Board (O&C) dealt with the administration of revested land in Oregon. The collection contains correspondence, reports, research files, and minutes.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forest management -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forest management -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon and California Railroad Company
- Public lands -- Government policy -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroad land grants -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroad land grants -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sever, Frank Sinclair, 1888-
- Sever, Frank Sinclair, 1888-
- United States. Bureau of Land Management. O & C Advisory Board
- Oregon and California Advisory Board Records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).