Oregon. State Defense Council. Lane County records
Scope and Contents
The collection (1942-1944) contains meeting minutes, correspondence, test reports, and manuals from committees, police reserves, University of Oregon, and also includes photographs of cantonment sites in Oregon.
- Creation: 1942-1944
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Oregon State Defense Council of World War I was formed in April 1917. The Council ceased to function on January 1, 1919.
The Defense Council was re-created on June 1, 1941 by Executive Order of governor Charles A. Sprague. The Defense Council organized civilian services including salvage, rationing, public welfare, child care, recreation, and health services. The Defense Council also concerned itself with the fighting of forest fires and blackout and dimout testing.
In June 1942, the Defense Council changed its organizational structure to conform with the United States Office of Civilian Defense guidelines. Two major divisions, the Civilian Protection Division and the Civilian War Services Division, were organized.
The Civilian Protection Division consisted of several subdivisions including Emergency Food and Housing, Evacuation, Camouflage, Aircraft Warning Service, Lighting, Public Utilities, Sanitation, Decontamination, Shore Patrol, Civil Air Patrol, Emergency Medical Service, and the Forest Fire Fighter Service.
The Civilian War Services Division operated primarily as a liaison between federal bureaus and local defense councils. This Division helped counties organize civil defense service programs, set up volunteer bureaus, and establish Block Leader systems. The subdivision of the Civilian Protection Division included defense housing, salvage, consumer interests and rationing, agriculture and victory gardens, and health and welfare services. In July of 1942, the Information and Public Relations Division was formed. After 1943, the Defense Council's activities diminished rapidly and by 1945 the Defense Council ceased to exist.
[Source: Oregon State Archives]
2 linear feet (4 containers) : 4 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
The collection contains records from the Lane County division of the Oregon State Defense Council. The collection (1942-1944) contains meeting minutes, correspondence, test reports, and manuals from committees, police reserves, University of Oregon, and also includes photographs of cantonment sites in Oregon.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
Genre / Form
- Guide to the Oregon. State Defense Council. Lane County Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).