Scope and Contents
The collection (1870-1878) contains corporate records, correspondence, financial records, minutes, day books, and order books.
Corporate records include articles of incorporation, stock information, meeting minutes, voting records, and correspondence.
Financial records include tax and liquidation information, day books, order books, and files on the Chicago plywood division.
- Nicolai Bros. Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Nicolai family of Portland, Oregon established a sawmill business, and a door and sash manufacturing company, among other business ventures. Louis Nicolai (1838 - ), of Saxony, Germany, and his family emigrated to America when he was fifteen years old. They travelled to Oregon in 1868. Family members and especially the brothers that helped run the companies were Adolph, Theodore, William, Harry T., and Arthur F.
0.5 linear feet (1 containers) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
The Nicolai Bros. Company of Portland, Oregon, was a sash and door manufacturing company. The collection (1870-1878) contains corporate records, correspondence, financial records, minutes, day books, and order books.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Articles of incorporation Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Business enterprises -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Daybooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Millwork (Woodwork) -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Planing-mills -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sawmills -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Nicolai Bros. Company Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).