Stearns and Chenoweth records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains deeds and legal papers, account books, a map, and correspondence.
Correspondence is arranged by date first, and then alphabetically within a date range. Date ranges include 1862-1886; 1887-1891; and 1891. Includes correspondence with Benjamin Dowell.
Deeds and legal papers (1855-1912) include land deeds, wills, and an "account of goods burnt and destroyed by Indians."
There are three account books.
The collection also contains a hand drawn map of Oakland, Oregon, showing the intersections of Front and 3rd streets, and Ash and Walnut Streets.
- Stearns, Arba Fay (Person)
- Chenoweth, Creed L. (Person)
- Stearns and Chenoweth (Oakland, Or.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Stearns and Chenoweth was a hardware store located in Oakland, Oregon. The store dealt in hardware, stoves, tinware, guns, pistols and sewing machines.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Stearns and Chenoweth was a hardware store located in Oakland, Oregon, that dealt in hardware, stoves, tinware, guns, pistols and sewing machines. The collection (1855-1912) contains deeds and legal papers, account books, a map, and correspondence.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chenoweth, Creed L.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dowell, B. F. (Benjamin Franklin)
- Hardware industry -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hardware stores -- Oregon -- Oakland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Merchants -- Oregon -- Oakland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stearns and Chenoweth (Oakland, Or.)
- Stearns, Arba Fay
- Guide to the Stearns and Chenoweth Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA