Hedden Store records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains store and postal ledgers detailing purchases of grocery items, general merchandise, money orders, stamps, and other related postal items. The ledgers also contain information on settled accounts, open accounts, and other customer information such as names, addresses, and items bought.
Box 3, Item 42, Creditors' National Collection System Ledger - in addition to creditor info, back pages of ledger also contain several journal entries of Emma Hedden.
- Hedden Store (Scottsburg, Or.) (Organization)
- Hedden, Cyrus W., 1820-1911 (Person)
- Hedden, John N., 1856-1941 (Person)
- Hedden, Emma, 1891-1979 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
The Hedden Store of Scottsburg, Oregon, was opened in 1852 by pioneer Cyrus W. Hedden (1820-1911), and remained in operation until 1976. The store was the second business to be opened in Scottsburg (founded in 1850) and survived the major flood disaster of the winter of 1861-62, which destroyed many homes and businesses. Following Cyrus’ death, the mercantile store was taken over by son John N. Hedden (1856-1941), who worked there until his death in 1941. John’s daughter, Emma Hedden (1891-1979) ran the store until 1976.
At various times in its history, the Hedden store sold everything from pins to threshing machines, clothing, food, and farm implements. Grain and wool were shipped through the store to San Francisco and other markets. The store had little competition from other businesses and also served as a post office and gathering place. The post office inside the store closed in 1960, when Emma Hedden retired as postmistress, a position she had held since 1915. Now closed, the store still stands as a historical place at the intersection of Highway 38 and Scottsburg West Road.
6 linear feet (4 containers) : 4 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
The Hedden store was a general merchandise store that operated from 1852-1976 in Scottsburg, Oregon. The collection contains store and postal ledgers detailing accounts of purchases (both general and postal) and also provides information on customers.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series I: Store Ledgers
Series II: Postal Ledgers
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Cheryl Bemiss.
- Businesses and Corporations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- General stores -- Oregon -- Douglas County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postal service -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scottsburg (Or.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Guide to the Hedden Store Records
- Complete Description
- Cheryl Bemiss and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA