Register-Guard records on higher education consolidation
Scope and Contents
Research files include statements, reports, opinions, and arguments from administrators and faculty of both Oregon State College and University of Oregon, and other interested persons, as well as correspondence, budget and statistic reports, and newspaper clippings.
Research subjects include faculty salary, budgets, science and business school issues, cost comparisons, graduate school, savings, O.S.C ratings, living conditions, and statistics.
There are also correspondence files of A. B. Hall, and William Jasper Kerr (who was President of Oregon State College at the time).
The collection also contains a scrapbook of opinion and article clippings regarding the issues involved in the consolidation attempt. The scrapbook may have been created by William M. "Bill" Tugman, the long-standing editor of the Register-Guard newspaper.
- Tugman, William M. (William Masten), 1893-1961 (Person)
- Eugene Register-Guard (Organization)
- Kerr, William Jasper, 1863-1947 (Person)
- Hall, Arnold Bennett, 1881-1936 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Register-Guard began as the Eugene Guard newspaper, based in Eugene, Oregon.
The initiative to consolidate higher education in Oregon began with "the Zorn-MacPherson School Moving Bill (official title: Bill Moving University, Normal and Law Schools. Establishing Junior Colleges). [The bill] was an initiative petition on the November 1932 general election ballot [in Oregon]."
"The bill provided for the consolidation of the University of Oregon and Oregon State College at the Corvallis campus to form the Oregon State University; moving of the normal schools from Monmouth, Ashland, and LaGrande to the campus in Eugene; moving the law school from Eugene to Salem; closing of the normal school at Monmouth; and creation of junior colleges at Ashland and LaGrande."
"The Zorn-Macpherson initiative petition campaign was the largest and most expensive in Oregon educational history up to that time. The bill was resoundingly defeated by a vote of more than 6 to 1."
[Source: Finding aid for the Zorn-Macpherson Bill Collection, 1926-1932, Oregon State University]
1.5 linear feet (1 container and 1 volume) : 1 manuscript box and 1 loose volume
Language of Materials
The bid to consolidate higher education in Oregon began with the the Zorn-MacPherson School Moving Bill of 1932. The collection (1932-1934) contains research files, and a scrapbook of the Register Guard Eugene newspaper regarding arguments and statistics surrounding the consolidation attempt.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Law and legislation -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Corvallis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eugene Register-Guard
- Hall, Arnold Bennett, 1881-1936
- Kerr, William Jasper, 1863-1947
- Oregon State Agricultural College
- Oregon State College
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schools -- Centralization -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Corvallis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Register-Guard Records on Higher Education Consolidation
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA