William S. Prichard letters
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 17 of Prichard's letters to his brother, Amos, and other relatives in Iowa. The letters give a terse account of his experiences as a pioneer in Oregon and California.
- Prichard, William S. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William S. Prichard left Polk County, Iowa in 1852. He was in Marysville, California, in 1861; Union, Oregon, 1865-1867; and Rye Valley, Oregon, 1868-1869. In 1865 he built a toll road from Union to Express Ranch, Oregon, an investment that ultimately failed to turn a profit.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Prichard left Polk County, Iowa in 1852; was in Marysville, Calif., in 1861; Union, Oregon, 1865-1867; and Rye Valley, Oregon, 1868-1869. In 1865, he built a toll road from Union to Express Ranch, Oregon, an investment that failed. His very occasional letters to a brother, Amos, and to other relatives in Iowa give a bare account of his experiences.
1 folder, including 17 letters
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marysville (Calif.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- California -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polk County (Iowa) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Toll roads -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Union County (Or.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the William S. Prichard Letters
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.