Skip to main content

Eugene Fruit Growers Association records

 Collection — Folder: 1 (shares an RSB box)
Identifier: B 165

Scope and Contents

The collection contains:

a ledger sheet of February to May of 1911;

extracts from Manager's reports, 1919-1947 (non inclusive);

a photograph album containing captioned photographs of canning plants, managers, offices, cannery work areas, and canners - many of the canners were women;

a history, statistics, articles of incorporation, and by-laws from 1919;

two copies of a brochure regarding the plants in Eugene, Junction City, and Creswell, published in 1928;

and an annual report from 1942.

Dates

  • 1911-1947

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Eugene Fruit Growers Association was a vegetable, fruit, and nut growing, picking, packing, and canning cooperative. In a 1958 article in the Register Guard, the Association was referred to as the "state's oldest and largest independent cooperative producer of canned and processed foods."

The Association was founded in 1908 by J. Beebe, H.F. McCornack and George A. Dorris, and the original name of the Association was Lane County Fruit and Vegitable Growers Association. The first manager was J. O Holt who served from 1908 until 1923.

The Association had plants and canneries in Eugene, Creswell, Springfield, and Junction City.

On April 1, 1971, the association became Agripac Inc.

[Source: Eugene Register Guard newspaper, May 18, 1958.]

Extent

0.025 linear feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Eugene Fruit Growers Association was a vegetable, fruit, and nut growing, picking, packing, and canning cooperative, founded in 1908. The collection (1911-1947) contains financial records, excerpts from managers reports, an annual report, a photograph album, and printed brochures.

Related Materials

Other collections relating to Eugene Fruit Growers Association at Special Collections and University Archives include: Eugene Fruit Growers Association records, Coll 413.

Physical Description

1 folder.

Processing Information

Collection processed by staff.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.

This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.

Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.

Title
Guide to the Eugene Fruit Growers Association Records
Status
Complete Description
Author
Tanya Parlet
Date
2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA